- To look for involvement of nerve tracts in the brain, spinal cord in cases of trauma, brain tumours etc.
- Before the preparation for an MRI Scan, you should inform doctor about any metallic objects, such as plates or implants in your body.
- The patient will lie down on a table that slides into the MRI machine. The table slides through a large magnet shaped like a tube. You may have a plastic coil placed around your head. After the table slides into the machine, a technician will take several pictures of your brain, each of which will take a few minutes.
- This scans tells your doctor about the integrity of the nerve tracts in the brain & spinal cord in case of trauma, tumours.
- It helps neurosurgeon to predict operability of the brain tumour & the nuerological deficit post-surgery.