- If you suffer from the following ailments, it would be recommended to do an MRCP
- Chronic alcoholic, gall stones, jaundice, pain in abdomen, diseases of the liver, gall bladder, bile duct, pancreas and pancreatic duct.
- Undiagnosed abdominal pain.
- The patient needs to do the fasting for 6-8 hrs.
- For the preparation for an MRI Scan, the doctor should be informed about any metallic objects such as plates or implants in your body.
- MRCP is an outpatient procedure that involves lying very still in an MRI scanner for several minutes at a time. Although the machine might be a little noisy, you do not feel anything while the scan happens. The entire experience should be over in less than 20 minutes.
- MRCP can show gallstones, narrowing or blockages in the bile duct or the pancreatic duct, tumours, and evidence of inflammation. MRCP may help the doctor determine the cause of jaundice; pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas).